DOCSHARE is an initiative of the Documentary Filmmakers Association of South Africa to create opportunities for experienced film professionals to share their knowledge and engage with the work and concerns of our existing and prospective members. We will offer five virtual DocShare webinar sessions during the first quarter of 2023, that will be open to the public. We will also be offering a support network for 10 Tier 3 filmmakers who want to apply for their first NFVF development funding where they access the docSHARE public sessions in addition to bespoke mentorship. The docSHARE programme is powered by the Presidential Employment Stimulus Programme (PESP3) administered by the NFVF.
Our aims with this initiative are to:
- Create an opportunity for sharing knowledge, experience and best practice between DFA members and others working in documentary film production and distribution;
- Facilitate open discussion about the practical, conceptual and ethical challenges facing documentary filmmakers;
- Provide virtual networking opportunities to our members and other stakeholders;
- Engage with our members on a regular basis throughout the year;
- Entice new members to join the organisation; and
- Provide a resource and support for emerging filmmakers wishing to apply for their first NFVF development or production funding.
JOB OPPORTUNITY: ESTABLISHED FILMMAKER MENTORS
The DFA wishes to recruit 10 mentors to each assist in supporting an emerging documentary filmmaker from January to April (three months) as they write their proposal and prepare an application for NFVF development or production funding. Mentors will be required to attend the 5 webinars and virtually meet with their mentee fortnightly. A project fee of R4000 is offered and the mentor must be a paid-up member of the DFA.
– documentary filmmaker with minimum 5 years experience
– at least one successful funding application (preferably for NFVF funding)
– demonstrable English verbal communication and writing skills
– own work space, computer and internet connection
– available for regular engagements with mentee as agreed with DFA Board
– experience with mentorship, training or teaching
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file with the subject “DFA docSHARE mentor application” to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Motivation/ covering letter (maximum 1 page)
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: 12:00 (midday) Wednesday 21 December 2022
Please note: No person currently serving as a member of the DFA board can apply. DFA is committed to transforming the documentary film industry to be more representative of race, gender and disability.
The docSHARE programme is powered by the Presidential Employment Stimulus Programme (PESP3) administered by the NFVF.