The Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education is seeking to contract someone experienced with African film to curate and run a two-day African Film Festival towards the end of May. This is a short-term contract for the month of May. The intention of the festival is to showcase a diverse range of films (documentary, fiction, shorts) around a theme that will provide a platform for education and conscientisation around relevant issues and themes. Our primary audience is young activists and people working in the social justice sector. The anticipated responsibilities include:
- Curating the festival in collaboration with Tshisimani staff: selecting films, liaising with directors and producers, negotiating screening rights.
- Working with the Tshisimani team to ensure venues, equipment and technical resources are secured and run well.
- Working with the arts and media team on marketing and publicity.
- Working with the Tshisimani programme team on identifying guest presenters or discussants that will engage audiences through dialogue around the films.
- Running the festival, together with Tshisimani staff, over the two days.
Tshisimani is based at Bertha House that has a 70-seat dedicated auditorium which can be used for film showings, discussions etc. Under Covid conditions the capacity is 40, but we aim to hold parallel venues for screenings. The festival will include a range of African food from different regions as part of the celebration of Africa Day on 25 May.
To apply, please submit a CV that outlines the experience you have, and a proposal for 4 (four) films which you would consider for a festival of this nature, clearly indicating why these films have been selected. The time commitment and remuneration is negotiable, on the basis of Tshisimani’s needs, the availability and experience of the successful applicant. This contract requires the person to be in Cape Town.
The deadline for applications is Monday 3 May 2021. Please email your application firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject: ‘Application for film festival curator’. If you have not heard from us by Monday 10 May 2021 please consider your application unsuccessful.