We’ve been through resistance from our relatives; we’ve been through resistance from our societies … After all of that damage, we still chose each other – Siyabonga Ngcobo, South African Vlogger
The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) would like to invite TIER 1 and 2 filmmakers ONLY, to submit proposals for a feature length documentary film that celebrates Queer Love. The call seeks to award funding to the value of R1 000,000 (1 Million Rand Only) for the production of one feature length documentary in keeping with the theme of “We Choose Each Other”.
“Cinema acts as [a] mirror to society. It has the power to say what is acceptable, what is right, how we should behave, who we are allowed to love. Seeing two women kiss on a forty-foot screen, without being punished or tortured for that fact, that’s something that I never had growing up, which is why I fight so hard to have those images up there.” – Samantha Lee, Filipino Filmmaker.
As highlighted in the above statement, cinema is a mirror to society. It is therefore one of the strongest mediums through which to celebrate Queer Love in all its forms and in so doing fulfil one of the objectives of the NFVF which is to promote social cohesion and the expression of the nation’s stories through film. The National Film and Video Foundation is seeking to approve a feature length documentary that is about Queer love in all ways it may be understood and represented, under the theme “We Choose Each Other”.
Terms of Reference:
The proposals must demonstrate a clear and unique understanding of the theme. Proposals must have a clear central idea, captivating and compelling story, inspiring character/s, and bold visual style. The film that is produced out of this initiative will have to meet the NFVF’s requirements for content that informs, educates, entertains, and offers unique, diverse perspectives. Gender diverse teams will be given preference.
Concepts must be production ready.
Selection Criteria for Projects Proposal
Applications must include:
- 1-2 page motivation
- 1-page synopsis
- Visual treatment
- Detailed outline or documentary script
- Archive research plan
- CVs of key creative team with showreel/portfolio of work
- Finance and recoupment plan
- Proposed development and production schedule
- Marketing and distribution strategy and plan
Please note, preference will be given to projects that have members of the queer community as key crew members, i.e., producer, director, writer.
In order for a production company to be considered for this opportunity, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Producer/s must be either a South African citizen or be a permanent resident of South Africa.
- Preference will be given to queer creatives.
- 51% black-owned and managed companies with a unique proposal.
- Tier 1/2 Production Company. This is defined in the NFVF Funding Policy as:
- Tier 1 (Experienced filmmakers who have a proven track record for developing and producing 3-5 feature-length documentary films.)
- Tier 2 (Filmmakers with limited experience in the film industry, but who have developed and produced 1-2 feature-length films, television fiction and/or, 2-3 documentary short films seeking to venture into feature film development and production)
- Production company should demonstrate an understanding of packaging and marketing of documentary films.
Who does not qualify?
- Previous recipients of NFVF slate funding including animation slate, documentary slates, youth and female filmmaker project are NOT eligible for this fund.
- Individuals and/or Production Companies that have 4 (four) active NFVF funded projects across the value chain i.e. development, production, post-production, marketing and distribution, training, and festival funding support.
- Production companies that have current projects active in production funded by the NFVF.
All applicants must submit the following compulsory documentation:
- BBBEE certificate.
- Valid Tax Clearance Certificate or Tax Clearance Status Pin Document (not older than one year) *
- Recently Certified ID copy (dated certification stamp not older than six months) *
- Company registration document
Applicants need to register and complete the online application form using the following link: https://nfvf.praxisgms.co.za/
Failure to submit the above-mentioned compulsory documentations will render the application incomplete and therefore disqualified. The Closing date for applications is 17 January 2022 at 5PM. Any queries maybe directed to Nadinec@nfvf.co.za Please note that failure to submit the above-mentioned key and compulsory documentation will render the application incomplete and therefore disqualified.
No late applications will be accepted.